Re: Argument typing in Compile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9398] Re: Argument typing in Compile
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 01:02:27 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Xah wrote:

> At 12:34 AM -0800 1997.11.01, Sean Ross wrote:
> >Does anyone know of a way to define a symbol that will execute one bit
> >of compiled code for certain types of arguments and another bit of
> >compiled code for other arguments without resorting to an explicit If
> >or Case structure?
>
> Hi Sean,
>
> You could use the same technique to define functions that uses Compile.
>
> f[x_Integer]=Compile[...];
> f[x_Real]=Compile[...];

Thanks for the response. As reasonable a suggestion as that is,
Unfortunately, my version of mathematica(3.0.1) doesn't agree with your
logic.

The code:

f[x_Real]=Compile[{x},x^2]

does not EVER return a number no matter what the argument of f is.  It
only returns a compiled function object with the argument in place of
the x.  That is why I wrote in asking how to do it.  Could you please
send a working sample of the code that you are referring to-one that
actually returns a real number.

> The commands Set and SetDelayed are permament versions of Rule and RuleDelayed.
> (with the condition that Rule and RuleDelayed needs to be used in conjunction with Replace or similar commands)

Could you elaborate on this statement, perhaps showing an example of
what you mean or how it relates to compiled function objects?