Palette Problems

Hello:

I have just installed my mathematica 3.0.1, but I am having some
problems with the display.  For instance, the mathematical expressions
on the basic input palette are not recognizable!  The square root button
is composed of

	*
	#
	#
	-

where the Y is a small black airplane, the - is a small sideways colon,
etc...

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

James