Re: Vertical plot labels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9053] Re: [mg9014] Vertical plot labels
  • From: jpk at max.mpae.gwdg.de
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 01:42:32 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Mark,

> I was wondering if anyone else experiences problems with vertical plot
> labels.  On the MacOS version, the letters don't seem to rotate.  This
> seems so unacceptable, that I was thinking it would be fixed by Wolfram
> in 3.0, but the same thing is happening.  Maybe it's just my machine
> (extension/font conflicts)?

Yes, it is Your machine and nearly all other Operating systems. Mma uses
the fonts of the operating system, i. e. TrueType, Bitmap ...
The most operating systems have no fonts with rotated letters so and
the display in the frontend works arround the problem by
makeing

instead of the rotated string "Labels". The only system that can directly
rotate a string by an angle is PostScript. So if You print Your graphics
on a PostScript printer or in the window of a PostScript interpreter
like GhostScript You will see the correct rotated text strings.
If You want to see the correct rotated labels in the frontend You must
use the NextStep OS because it works originaly with DisplayPostScript.

Hope that helps
Jens