anti-aliasing MMA graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9073] anti-aliasing MMA graphics
  • From: Russell Towle <rustybel at foothill.net>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 01:42:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

A friend of mine is using MMA version 3 on a Windows 95 machine. He is
having difficulty removing "the jaggies" from his MMA graphics, which are
renderings of polyhedra (Graphics3D).

I use MMA version 2.2.2 on a Mac, and I have found this method to work very
well: I use the pop-up magnification thingy at the bottom of my notebook
window and magnify the graphic to 300%. I then force it to render
PostScript at 300%, usually choosing "Make Lines Thin" in the Graph menu.
Then I return to 100%. The graphic is now nicely anti-aliased. I choose
Convert To Bitmap PICT in the Graph menu, and save the graphic to a PICT
file. I can then convert this file to JPEG or GIF format for sending with
email. It all works very nicely, in fact, I sometimes even use this method
on every frame in an animation.

However, using version 3.0 on his Windows 95 machine, my friend has had no
luck using this technique. I am not sure what to tell him now; I have no
experience using MMA on a Windows machine, nor, for that matter, any
significant experience using version 3.0.

Help!!!

Russell Towle
Giant Gap Press:  books on California history, digital topographic maps
P.O. Box 141
Dutch Flat, California 95714
Voice:  (916) 389-2872
e-mail:  rustybel at foothill.net