mma timings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9120] mma timings
  • From: Colin Rose <crose at c2.telstra-mm.net.au>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:33:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 carlos at mars.Colorado.EDU (Carlos A. Felippa) wrote:

    > After installing v 3.0 on my Mac 8500/120 I have done some side
    > by side timing tests with old Notebooks comparing the speed of
    > Mma 2.2 vs 3.0.  Generally v. 3.0 is 10% to 60% slower in most cases,
    > but ocassionally I found it to be an order of magnitude slower.

  And still worse, the new Mac v3.0.1 is actually SLOWER than v3. The
  slow-down is a further 10% running the Unterkofler benchmark test
  on a PowerMac 8600/200 with 1meg L2 cache and 96MB RAM.
  Crazy stuff. The Unterkofler v3 test is available at:
        < http://fampm201.tu-graz.ac.at/karl/math/MMA-Test.nb >

  Under OS8, the v3 front-end has some nasty display problems
  -> the text bunches up (compresses) in large files with pictures.
  If I place the cursor in any cell say before the letter n in "Colin"
  and then backspace, the o may disappear (not the n). It's all wonky.
  If I throw out the cache (in the prefs folder), everything is fine
  again, until I generate a new simple plot, and then it's back to
  wonky text. It's starting to get a little irritating.
  Wolfram say that this is a Mac OS 8 bug - NOT a WRI bug - and have
  asked Apple to provide a patch. Also see:

  http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Macintosh/FE/CursorProblem.html

  Cheerio

  Colin