Divergence and Dirac Delta Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9127] Divergence and Dirac Delta Function
  • From: Elvis Dieguez <elvisum at ibm.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:33:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am a physics student currently enrolled in an upper level
Electrodynamics course and, while playing around with Mathematica 3.0
for Students, I discovered that if I tell Mathematica to compute the
divergence of:      unit vector(r) / r^2 it will return the value of
zero.  However, I know that, at the very least in Electrodynamics, the
correct value should be:  4*Pi*(DiracDelta Function).  Is it possible to
get Mathematica to output this value without explictly telling the
program that this is the value?
                                        Elvis Dieguez