Re: Saving graphics as EPS (Mathematica 3.0/HPUX)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9146] Re: Saving graphics as EPS (Mathematica 3.0/HPUX)
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:37:49 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chris Goedde wrote:

> I'm using Mathematica 3.0 on and HPUX 10.20 box.  I want to save some
> graphics, generated with ContourPlot as EPS to include in a LaTeX
> file.
>
> My first attempt was to use "Save Selection As -> EPS".  This creates
> an EPS file that produces...nothing.  I know a fair bit about
> postscript, so I poked around, tried various tricks (add a showpage,
> etc), but I can't see any image.  The file looks ok, lots of lineto's
> and strokes, but even with ghostscript, I don't see anything.  As far
> as I can tell, it doesn't give any errors, but it doesn't seem to
> render anything, either.
>
> My second attempt was to try "Save As Special -> TeX".  This produces
> a different EPS file, one that renders correctly with ghostscript.
> Great.  But, the file contains a totally bogus bounding box comment:
>
> %%BoundingBox: 101. 569. 4. 472. 468.
>
> All I can say about this is HUH?!?  That line is invalid in two
> different ways.  Anyway, I can fix this by hand, so it's not a bad
> problem.
>
> But my question remains: how do I get Mathematica 3.0 for HPUX to produce
> valid EPS files for graphics?

If you are using Mathematica 3.0.0.x (check the Help -> About
Mathematica menu command to be sure), then you can find a fix for your
problem at the Tech Support FAQ:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/Graphics/Formats/EPS/FrontEndFix.html

Since you're on a Unix system, you may need to ask your sysadmin to
apply this fix since it involves replacing a file in the core
Mathematica distribution.

You can get a updates to TeXSave at URL:

ftp://mathsource.com/pub/outgoing/TeXSave/

See the readme.txt file for instructions on installing the update.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram