how to read file line by line?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9151] how to read file line by line?
  • From: "charles loboz" <charles at please.no.spam.syacus.acus.oz.au>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:37:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Assuming input file like that:
	10 15 30.0
	10 30 6.0
	5  30 4.0

how can I read it, line by line, and discard lines with '15'  as a
second word?
I know that I can read the whole file into a big list and then create a
list of records using Select, but this does not help on large files.

The required approach is to read in only lines satisfying certain
criteria. --
charles loboz
to reply: remove please.no.spam from the address