Re: Mathematica 2.2 sound export

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9198] Re: [mg9164] Mathematica 2.2 sound export
  • From: "Parker E.C. Bradley" <PJDRINKA at concentric.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 02:03:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Joshua McFadden wrote:

> I know this is likely to be one of those problems that makes brave men
>
> weep in frusration, but does anybody know how on earth I can get a
> usable soundfile format out of Mathematica 2.2 for DOS?  I'm trying to
>
> research funtional sound synthesis, which Mathematica is excellent at,
>
> but I also have to post sounds in an HTML doc for my professor, which
> Mathematica is apparently incapable of.  I had an altercation with
> Mathematica's tech support people, who were very helpful about getting
>
> my files converted to EPS format (for sound??), and when I stipulated
> that it be a useful format, they smiled and said, "Oh, sorry, you
> can't
> do that.  Buy Mathematica 3.0."  I have no cash.  <grin>  Can anyone
> help me?  I'm looking for WAV, RAW, AIFF... anything but "postscript".
>
> Bless your hearts, and may God favor your struggles with Mathematica!
>
> Josh
> <Joshua.McFadden at oberlin.edu>

    If you must use DOS and ver 2.2 of Mathematica (which is not a bad
thing), it might be easiest to record the sounds, generated by
Mathematica, on a tape recorder. For best quality, use a direct line
patch from the sound card to the recorder (instead of through the air
via speakers & mic) -- both for recording and playback. The details of
this arrangement will depend upon the equipment you have on hand.

    Once the recording is made, you play it back to the sound card, and
using your favorite sound editing program , capture and save as the
sound file format of your choice.

--
Bradley
Air Force Rome Labs / C3BB                    PJDRINKA at concentric.net