Re: Re: Useful Dumb User Questions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg9209] Re: [mg9045] Re: Useful Dumb User Questions
  • From: "Brett H. Barnhart" <brettb>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 02:03:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Joe Gregg will be doing a presentation on the Liebniz Front end at the
Developer Conference next week.

			Brett Barnhart

At 01:42 AM 10/9/97 -0400, Paul Abbott wrote:
>Matthias Weber wrote:
>> It would be possible to write a
>> front end with  a nice interface (graphical, whatever you want)
>> which however restricts the input to simple expressions. That is,
>> only input would be accepted with intuitive meaning such that a
>> beginning user could solve his/her problems. The design of such a
>> front end would be the hard part, and probably one should indeed
>> pick some hundred people from the addressed user group to test
>> it out.
>> This way only a subset of Mathematica's abilities would be
>> available, but it would be instantly to use.
>> I myself would welcome such a front end very much for educational
>> purposes -- we have just given up the idea of using Mathematica
>> for teaching undergraduates because of that sort of difficulties.
>Such a thing exists.  Have a look at Liebniz:
>	Paul
>Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61-8-9380-2734
>Department of Physics                           Fax: +61-8-9380-1014
>The University of Western Australia
>Nedlands WA  6907                     mailto:paul at
>            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player

Brett H. Barnhart
Business Development
Wolfram Research
100 Trade Center Dr
Champaign, Il 61820
217-398-0700 ext 523
217-398-0747 (fax)
brettb at

*Check out our 1997 Mathematica Developer Conference at