mathlm problem on SGI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9207] mathlm problem on SGI
  • From: feats at ozone.cc.vt.edu (Steve Greenfield)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 02:03:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have installed Mathematica 3.0 on an SGI POWER Challenge XL running
IRIX 6.2.  I did a custom install and chose option:

     d. To run the Mathematica license manager (mathlm) on the machine

To start the license manager I created a /etc/init.d/mathematica script
which looks like this:

     #!/bin/sh
     # installed on 1/28/97 for mathematica v3.0

/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/LicenseManager/Binaries/SGI/mathlm

This setup works great!

Now I am trying to do the same install on 14 SGI O2's running IRIX 6.3
and 2 Octane's running IRIX 6.4.  I used the same install selections
and am using the same /etc/init.d/mathematica startup script.  On these
systems I get the following messages when the license manager attempts
to start:

     License valid through 29 Sep 1998.
     # Cannot Bind to socket. Mathlm is probably already running.

This leads me to believe that the socket number is already being used or
is not defined.  Mathlm is not already running!  I tried contacting
Wolfram but they won't respond to my help request.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

steve <feats at vt.edu>