Threading of newsgroup [Admin]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9241] Threading of newsgroup [Admin]
  • From: steve at smc.vnet.net
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 01:00:55 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MathGroup and Newsgroup Members:

Over the years I have been putting things like {mg2345] in the Subject
lines of the mail I send out to the mailing list.  These end up in many
of the Subject lines in the Newsgroup.  This makes it very difficult
for the threading mechanisms of news readers to operate.  I have had
many requests to eliminate these from the newsgroup posts.

Daryn Sharp at Wolfram Research kindly produced a perl script I can add
to my scripts that will delete the {mg   ] labels from the Subject
lines so that threading should now work.  I am leaving the [mg   ]
labels in the message text where they might prove useful.

The labels will remain in the mailing list Subject headers.

Please report any problems you may have due to this change.

Steve Christensen
Moderator