Subscripts??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8910] Subscripts??
  • From: Gadi Oron <oron at manet.pmmh.espci.fr>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:57:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello again,

First I would like to thank all of those who helped me with my questions
before (Union and Precision) It helped me alot.

So now for the new question: How to use Subscripts??

Subscripts are a very nice and practical idea but gives me some hard time.

1. Subscript[A,1] // N  gives  Subscript[A,1.]  :((
Or:  Subscript[A,E] // N gives Subscript[A,2.7...]

2. Giving N[Subscript[a_,n_Integer]]:=Subscript[a,n] Does not work.

3. So you tell me I should use the Utilities`Notation` package, here we
go:

<<Utilities`Notation`
Symbolize[A_1]   << Ok put here a subscript.

But now:
Symbolize[A_2]

gives :

Symbolize::"boxSymbolExists":
"Warning: The box structure attempting to be symbolized has a similar
or \ identical symbol already defined, possibly overriding previously
symbolized \ box structure."

???

And effectively if you try and use these kind of variables together you
will have some really hard time (some would be undefined).

So how do I get out of all this??

Thank you again.