Re: Subscripts??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8971] Re: [mg8910] Subscripts??
  • From: David Withoff <withoff>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 01:59:41 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Hello again,
>
> First I would like to thank all of those who helped me with my questions
> before (Union and Precision) It helped me alot.
>
> So now for the new question: How to use Subscripts??
>
> Subscripts are a very nice and practical idea but gives me some hard time.
>
> 1. Subscript[A,1] // N  gives  Subscript[A,1.]  :((
> Or:  Subscript[A,E] // N gives Subscript[A,2.7...]
>
> 2. Giving N[Subscript[a_,n_Integer]]:=Subscript[a,n] Does not work.
>
> 3. So you tell me I should use the Utilities`Notation` package, here we go:
>
> <<Utilities`Notation`
> Symbolize[A_1]   << Ok put here a subscript.
>
> But now:
> Symbolize[A_2]
>
> gives :
>
> Symbolize::"boxSymbolExists":
> "Warning: The box structure attempting to be symbolized has a similar
> or \ identical symbol already defined, possibly overriding previously
> symbolized \ box structure."
>
> ???
>
> And effectively if you try and use these kind of variables together you
> will have some really hard time (some would be undefined).
>
> So how do I get out of all this??
>
> Thank you again.

I think that what you did here will work fine.  I didn't find any trouble
with it when I tried it.  The warning message is just that -- a warning,
sort of like a spelling message.  If you could describe any difficulties
that you've had with this, then perhaps I could make some more specific
comments about it.

Dave Withoff
Wolfram Research