Losing Old Mathematica 2.2 Notebooks in Mac OS 8 Install?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg9318] Losing Old Mathematica 2.2 Notebooks in Mac OS 8 Install?
- From: siegman at ee.stanford.edu (AES)
- Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 02:47:34 -0500
- Organization: Stanford University
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I recently did a "clean" install of Mac OS 8 (replacing 7.5) on a PowerMac 8600, and then installed Mathematica 3.0 and then 3.0.1 replacing 2.2. A large number of my old Mathematica notebooks can now no longer be converted, even with "Open Special". If I look at them with a text editor, the usual Mathematica prelude and stuff are there, and a small amount of content (cell text for a few but not all of the cells, etc.). There is also a line just after the prelude saying "Cache xxx" where xxx is some number. What happened here? Is the link to this cache lost? Any way to recover? ("Open Special" does NOT work.) [And are there other places besides this newsgroup -- a mail list or ??? -- to post questions like these?] [ANd is this newsgroup "hung" somewhere? -- no messages have appeared for ast least several days.]