sphere tesselation with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9270] sphere tesselation with Mathematica
  • From: "I. Inanc Tarhan" <tarhan at piranha.cis.upenn.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 02:46:43 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I was wondering if I can solve the following problem easily with
Mathematica. I am trying to represent a sphere as a number of
equidistantly spaced points on its surface (i.e., if you can fold open
the sphere without any distortions, the points will be hexagonally
"close" packed)?  Specifically, I am trying to represent the surface of
a sphere as a collection of identical equilateral triangles.

Thanks

Inanc