Re: Which version for symbolic calculation, student or full ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9273] Re: Which version for symbolic calculation, student or full ?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 02:46:45 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bluesky wrote:

>   Sometimes I want to do some general calculation with systems of
> equations, or functions that use only symbols, not with any particular
> numeric number. I may use the answer when in need.
>
>   For example,  log(x - 2*exp(a + 1 / ( x - b ) ) )  =  ??
>
>   Then, when necessary, I just use the answer with some value and get
> the particular case.
>
>   But it seems the student version of Mathematica does not allow one to
> do so, and I see on the cover of the full version of Mathematica 3.0
> there is one or two lines that symbolic calculation is available.
>
>   Is it true ?

With respect to kernel and core front end features, there is NO
difference between the professional and student versions of Mathematica
3.0.

It may be that the systems of equations that you are trying to solve do
not admit a closed form solution, or you may be using inappropriate
syntax to solve the problem.

You may want to post a simple example of the problem you are
encountering to MathGroup or to the student support forum at

	http://www.wolfram.com/student-support/

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,