RE: Re: Memory Leak in 3.0 for

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8675] RE: [mg8640] Re: Memory Leak in 3.0 for
  • From: Ersek_Ted%PAX1A at mr.nawcad.navy.mil
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:49:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Stephen Froehlich,  and
Matthias Weber  wrote:
 ----------
|>         Why is it that as I do evaulations, the Kernel takes up more and
|> more memory?  Is there a leak?  If so, is there a fix in the works?
|
|I don't know whether that is the problem, but the kernel remembers
|all the Out variables, and if you have lots of lengthy outputs
|(even when suppressed), eventually the kernel will suffocate.
|
|To get rid of that, use
|
|Unprotect[Out]; Clear[Out];
|
|That helps a bit.

There are several ways to reduce the amount of memory used.
However, I don't really understand how each one effects the amount of
memory used.   A list of memory clearing commands is shown below.
Roughly speaking the commands further down the list give back more memory.

(1)       DownValues[f]=.
(2)   f=.
(3)       Clear[f];
(4)       ClaerAll[f]
(5)   Remove[f];
(6)       $Line=1;
(7)       $HistoryLength=10;

(8)       Unprotect[In, Out];
          Clear[In, Out];          (*  Mathematica Book, ver 3, page. 676
 *)
                Protect[In, Out];

(9)  ClearAll["Global`*"]
(10) Remove["Global`*"]
(11) Share[];
(12) CleanSlate[];      (* Using the CleanSlate package *)

Ted Ersek