Re: Re: Q - image processing / reading TIFF/JPEG files?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8760] Re: [mg8731] Re: [mg8708] Q - image processing / reading TIFF/JPEG files?
  • From: Fabian Haas <b5hafa at>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 20:51:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

>bestor at wrote:
>> Does anyone have information about what packages are available for doing
>> basic image processing using MMa? I have checked MathSource and there doesn't
>> seem to be anything there.
>> In a similar vein, what packages other than ReadTIFFpackage can read in
>> graphics files into MMa (eg into a 2D list)? The problem with ReadTIFFpackage
>> is that is requires FastBinaryFiles which I cannot get to compile on my
>> NEXTSTEP box. Alternatively, has somebody out there got FastBinaryFiles to
>> work under NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP?
>> TIFF would ideal, but any common graphics format would be OK.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> - Gareth
>> ---
>> Gareth Bestor                        bestor at
>> Computer Sciences Department
>> University of Wisconsin-Madison

Hi Gareth,

reading image into Mma is not that as straight forward as some advertisement=
 material of Mma suggest.
Well, if you have a Mac available you might also use MovieDigitizer, reading=
 QuickTime data, and then Exprot the data (ASCII list) to your machine.
The Digitizer is availbable from MathSource.

Dipl.Biol. Fabian Haas, MPhil
Institut fur Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie
Erbertstr. 1
D-07743 Jena
b5hafa at
Deutschland / Germany