Re: Q - image processing / reading TIFF/JPEG files?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8791] Re: Q - image processing / reading TIFF/JPEG files?
  • From: bestor at
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:26:26 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

bestor at wrote:
>Does anyone have information about what packages are available for doing
>basic image processing using MMa? I have checked MathSource and there
>doesn't seem to be anything there.
>In a similar vein, what packages other than ReadTIFFpackage can read in
>graphics files into MMa (eg into a 2D list)?

To follow myself up, I found a very nice Mma package for reading in graphics
files that uses NEXTSTEP's built-in services, allowing you to read in pretty
much _any_ graphics file format you want (provided you can get hold of some
other app that can read it in and provides services support, which most do).
Unfortunately it only works under NEXTSTEP, for obvious reasons. Not much
good unless you're running NEXTSTEP but perhaps it'll be ported to Rhapsody.

I also found a site with some image processing Mma notebooks at

- Gareth
Gareth Bestor                        bestor at
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin-Madison