Re: ReadList and FortranForm data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8487] Re: ReadList and FortranForm data
  • From: sergio at scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Sergio Rojas)
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:15:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

	Hello,

	You may try:

ReadList["data.dat",Table[Number,{i,1,4}]]
    which is the same as:
ReadList["data.dat",{Number, Number, Number, Number}]

 	For more details, though not too clear ones, see Pg 156 of
        Mathematica book, edition of 1988.

Rojas
E-mail: sergio at scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu

Sean Ross (seanross at worldnet.att.net) wrote:
: I have never been able to figure out how to read in data from a text
: file that is separated by spaces with return characters at the end of
: each line.  ie

: 1 2 3 4
: 5 6 7 8
: etc.

: The big problem is that Mma interprets the spaces as multiplication
: operators.  I have tried specifying spaces as WordSeparators,
: RecordSeparators, but have not been successful.  My work-around is to
: read the whole thing in as a String using the Word option, then manually
: put commas in where the spaces were and use ToExpression to convert to
: numbers again.  Unfortunately, this method fails with Fortran-like data
: since the e-01 are interpreted as exponentials.  Can someone give me the
: syntax to read in space separated data please.