Re: Division symbol in Graphical Plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8869] Re: [mg8844] Division symbol in Graphical Plots
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:16:34 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Salem Bouhairie" <SALEMB at CIVIL.Lan.McGill.CA>
McGill University Civil Engineering
 [mg8844]       Division symbol in Graphical Plots
writes as below line ********

Salem:

I think that you need Mathematica Version 3.x instead of Version 2.2.

Allan Hayes
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
http://www.haystack.demon.co.uk/training.html
voice:+44 (0)116 2714198
fax: +44 (0)116 2718642
Leicester,  UK

************************
I am using Mathematica 2.2 on a university network pc

When I do ListPlots/Plots of my data, I label my axes with fractioned
variables:

e.g. In[10]:= FrameLabel->{"x"/"L","Ci"/"Cs"}, RotateLabel->False.

But on the graphical output of these plots, I see dashes instead of a
solid horizontal line to represent the division symbol, within the
label,
e.g   I see   Ci        ; I want  Ci   .
              Cs                  Cs

I noticed that Mathematica usually prints out expressions in an
approximation to standard mathematical notation,

e.g. In[1]:= (a + b)/(x + y)

     Out[1]:=  a + b
             _________
               x + y

How can I get this solid bar as the division symbol within the
framelabel or axeslabel?