Re: importing images

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg8517] Re: importing images
  • From: sch at (Stu Schaffner)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 02:20:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <5uij36$5d2 at>, Al Arduengo <exal at> wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>         I am trying to utilize Mma 3.0 in my Image Processing course and have
> run into a bit of a snag. It seems that it can DISPLAY many forms of
> graphics, but I wish to be able to, say, import a 8-bit grayscale *.gif
> file into mma as a matrix of grayscale values. The same would apply to
> jpeg, tiff, and bmp files as well. Has anyone done this or is there a
> kind soul who could shed some light on this subject for me? Thanks in
> advance.

There's a kludgy but effective example in the Wavelet Explorer tutorials,
if I recall correctly from awhile back.

My primary reason for replying to this post is to enter a vote (a plea)
for WRI to lower some of the many barriers between its own graphics
world and the much larger graphical world around it. Certainly a
"DeBabelizer" package would be an obvious first step.  Also, I noticed
that WRI was not an exhibitor at Siggraph '97.

Stu Schaffner,
not speaking for The MITRE Corp.
sch at