Re: Installation of Mathematica 3.0.2 on NextStep

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11837] Re: Installation of Mathematica 3.0.2 on NextStep
  • From: "Tom Marchioro" <tlm@u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 00:35:43 -0500

Hi:

If no one else has answered this question for you, try a command like
(this is from memory, so if it does not work write me and I will delve
around on my NeXT system at home)

ln -s /usr/local/mathematica/   /LocalApps/Mathematica.app

as root, or substitute your personal Apps directory for the latter
directory.

Two things to  note:

1)  You also  need to get the Fonts properly installed, either by
symbolic links or by copying them to one of the Font directories
recognized by NeXTstep.

2)  The above fix will cause .nb files to be registered with Mathematica
3.0, so double clicking them will cause the app to launch, etc.
HOWEVER, you will not be able to  use the TeXSave and HTMLSave
functions if you launch Mathematica in this way.  Instead you get
errors about "Mathematica and the kernel use different file systems."
If you want to use those features launch Mathematica from
/usr/local/mathematica and open the file from there.

Hope this helps --- tom

--
Dr. Thomas L. Marchioro II
Department of Chemistry