List as variable

I am a newcomer to Mathematica and am having a little trouble reading in
a file. I can get

In[1]:= ReadList["flnm",RecordLists->True,Numbers] to read in a file and
make a list, but I don't quite  understand how to put that list into a
variable so that I can work on it. When I try something simplistic like

In[2]:= data=ReadList["flnm",RecordLists->True,Numbers]

I just get

Out[2]=ReadList["flnm",RecordLists->True,Numbers]

and

In[3]:=data
Out[3]=data

I would suppose this is something fundamental and simple, but I am not
making any progress, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...remove 1001 to reply.