Binary files

I'd like to read in Mathematica unformatted files (as the very big
dimension of ascii files) produced by a fortran program.

These files contain real, integer and character data (but can be also
limited to real data, if needed).

How can I import these files in mathematica, both to plot and
post-process data?
I'm trying with OpenBinary and ReadListBynary without good success.

Thanks in advance.

                            (.) (.)
  Gaetano Bellanca D.E.I.S. - University of Bologna.
  Viale Risorgimento, 2 - 40136 - Bologna - ITALY
  Phone :  +39 51 6443060     Fax :  +39 51 6443053
  Mailto :