Re: Sqrt Problems
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: [mg12149] Re: Sqrt Problems
- From: dreissNOSPAM@nospam.earthlink.net (David Reiss)
- Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 01:46:31 -0400
- Organization: EarthLink Network, Inc.
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In article <email@example.com>, PAUL REISER <REISER@HRTS.NRL.NAVY.MIL> wrote: > Forgive me if this is a simple question, but I am trying to get "1" out > of the following expression and I can't seem to figure out how: > > u = Sqrt[a+I*b/a] * Sqrt[a^2+I*b] / Sqrt[a] > > Is there a package I'm missing or something? > > Thanks - > Paul Reiser The expression in question is not equal to 1: In:= u = Sqrt[a + I*b/a]*Sqrt[a^2 + I*b]/Sqrt[a] Out= (Sqrt[a^2 + I*b]*Sqrt[a + (I*b)/a])/Sqrt[a] In:= Expand[u^2] Out= a^2 + 2*I*b - b^2/a^2 Perhaps you made a mistake when you typed the input line that you wanted? -- David Reiss dreissNOSPAM@nospam.earthlink.net http://home.earthlink.net/~dreiss To send personal email, remove the words "nospam" and "NOSPAM" from the email address