  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13595] Mandelbrot
  • From: Jon Prudhomme <prudhomj at>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 03:53:54 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

	I was just curious if anyone had found a decent way to plot the
Mandelbrot or Julia sets with Mathematica yet.  I have been able to do
it with DensityPlot and ListDensityPlot, but I can't help but wonder if
there is an easier way than either of these:

(* or this for a ListDensityPlot... *)

	Anyone got any other ideas?

Jon Prudhomme
The Evergreen State College
prudhomj at

PS - The algorithm for the Mandelbrot set is z[[n]]=z[[n-1]]^2+c where
z[[0]]=0 and c is the point on the complex plain being tested as a
member of the set.  If after an arbitrary number of iterations the
point is not 2 units away from the origin on the complex plain, the
point c is a member of the set.  Colors of non-member points are based
on the iteration number that them as excluded from the set.