Re: Does Mathematica speed up with multiple processors under NT?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13624] Re: Does Mathematica speed up with multiple processors under NT?
  • From: gwesp at cosy.sbg.ac.at (Gerhard Wesp)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 03:08:25 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  hi rob,

we have Mathematica installed on a two processor ultrasparc.  it
certainly helps to have 2 processors if there are other jobs running on
the system, or if you have two simultaneous Mathematica processes, for
example. but one kernel process utilizes no more than one cpu.

others have pointed out that you will get improvements due to the
kernel/front end parallelism (if you use a front end) and/or
kernel/graphics renderer parallelism (motifps on unix, that is).

greetings,
-gerhard