Re: Mandelbrot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13602] Re: [mg13595] Mandelbrot
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 03:08:06 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Jon,

at first I recommend to calculate a matrix with the iterations and than
try to make List*Plot's of them.

Since the Mandelbrot, Julia set is defined by the z[i+1]=z[i]^2+c You
will not find an easier way.

You have several ways to setup the iteration one possibility is

             iter++;#^2+c ,
            ] &,

Since the calculation is a pure numerical task You may use a MathLink
Tom Wickham-Jones book comes with a Mandelbrot calculation in a MathLink
program. The main advantage is the speed gain.

There exist more complicated algorithms (You search for easier) with
higher speed. Look at
"The Science of Fractal Images" by Saupe and Peitgen, Springer-Verlag,

Hope that helps