Re: Undocumented 3.0 Features

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13652] Re: Undocumented 3.0 Features
  • From: Robert Villegas <villegas>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 17:38:26 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> What did you do to discover that list of undocumented kernel commands?
> (Bribe a kernel developer?)

> I looked at the output of;
>
> In[1]:=
> ?A*
>
> In[2]:=
> ?B*
>
> In[3[]:=
> ?C*
>
> etc.
>
> For each output displayed I took a closer look at the symbols I haven't
> herd  of before
> (ie.  ?ArgumentCountQ).   I am very familiar with the Kernel so I had a
> pretty good idea which features are officially documented.  I spent
> about  1/2 hour a day on this for about ten days.

You can compute a good approximation by looking for all System` symbols
that lack a usage message.  I'm not sure it's exactly the same as Ted's
more thorough effort, but it should get you very close:

Mathematica 3.0 for Linux
Copyright 1988-97 Wolfram Research, Inc.

In[1]:= Block[{$Urgent = {}},
          Select[Names["System`*"],
            (Information[#]; Not @ StringQ[
              MessageName @@ Append[ToHeldExpression[#], "usage"]
            ])&
          ]
        ]

Out[1]= {After, AlgebraicRules, Alias, AutoLineWrap, AutoQuotes, AutoScroll,

In[2]:=

Robby Villegas