Label Display in 2-D Plots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13698] Label Display in 2-D Plots?
  • From: jeglin at 4pi.com (Stefan Jeglinski)
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:39:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm having a fit, so to speak. I would have liked Mathematica to produce
my "publication quality" plots so I could save them out as EPS and
import them into my desktop publishing program.

I do not want the axes labels to be positioned at the ends of the axes.
There seem to be no options here. I have tried frame labels as well.
The frame label which appears below the horizontal axis is
satisfactory, but I want the vertical axis label to be written
vertically, as is common in published work. I seem to be not able to do
this with frame labels. In addition, I find the frame label along the
vertical axis to be too close to the numbers, but I can't nudge it out.
Finally, I tried making text objects but I cannot seem to be able to
superimpose them onto graphics already created.

All in all, quite unsatisfactory. I have been looking in the Mathematica
book and past issues of Mathematica Journal. Nowhere do I see this
capability. I'm a little incredulous that such an expensi^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
sophisticated program can't do this.

Please tell me I'm wrong! How can I do what I want?

Stefan Jeglinski