Re: Request for help: working with multi-level lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13681] Re: Request for help: working with multi-level lists
  • From: "David Keith" <dkeith at hevanet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:39:13 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Try this:

<<Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics`

Mean[ Transpose[Select[list,#1[[1]]==1&]][[2]] ]

Select uses a pure function to choose those elements for which
element[[1]] ==1, Transpose transposes the list so that it is now is a
list of three lists, the 2nd of which is a list of the 2nd elements,
then [[2]] chooses just that list and Mean computes the average.
"<<Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics`" loads Mean.

Dave