Re: Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13834] Re: Mathematica
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:41:12 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 28 Aug 1998, Ryan Taylor wrote:

> I am using mathematica for the first time in order to plot PV diagrams
> for a chemistry class. I was wondering if there is any way that I can
> label the x and y axis on a graph. For example, "pressure" and
> "volume." I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could provide
> on this matter.

Most plotting functions in Mathematica support the AxesLable option,
which will probably suffice for your work.  The strings "x" and "y" are
the x-axis values and y-axis values respectively.

	Plot[1/x, {x,0.5,3}, AxesLabel->{"x","y"}]

This is documented in _The Mathematica Book_ (Third Edition) by Stephen
Wolfram.  If you are using Mathematica 3.0 and have access to the
notebook front end, you can bring up some introductory material on
customizing graphs by evaluating the following expression in a
notebook:

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["MainBook", "1.9.3"]]

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram