Re: Defining differential operators question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13825] Re: Defining differential operators question
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:41:05 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

tgoetze at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I would like to be able to define a family of differential operators
> that act on a function being passed in. For simplicity sake, I will
> assume that the functions being passed in are functions of one
> variable.
>
> Suppose that given a list L={a0,a1,a2,a3}, that the differential
> operator defined by L, acts on a function F by:
>
> a0*F + a1*F' + a2*F'' + a3*F'''

Here is one solution using MapIndexed:

 In[1]:= NewD[l_List,f_]:=Function[x,Evaluate[
	Plus@@MapIndexed[#1 Derivative[First[#2]-1][f][x]&,l]]]

 In[2]:= g[x_] := x^3

 In[3]:= NewD[{a0,a1,a2,a3},g]
 Out[3]=
	                  3          2
	Function[x$, a0 x$  + 3 a1 x$  + 6 a2 x$ + 6 a3]

 In[4]:= %[1]
 Out[4]= a0 + 3 a1 + 6 a2 + 6 a3

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player