  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg14987] FileManipulation
  • From: Jason Gill <jgill at>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 03:59:07 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I encountered an interesting behavior running 3.1 on Win 95.  When using
the functions filenames to generate a list of files and then attempting
to use that list within a function results in a "out to lunch error".
 The example I am using is
all = FileNames[*,$HomeDirectory,1]; Out:
{c:\\95drive,c:\\autoexec.bat, etc.} However attempting to

sends the kernel out never to return.

On futher investigation,

It appears that Mathematica perpetually adds backslashes. That is if I
take the a original version of "all" and manually stirp away the second
backslash, Mapping FileType works as expected.  I am not sure what is
causing this behavior, or how to correct it without manually removing
the extra backslash in FileNames.

I suspect I am not describing the problem very clearly, but the problem
is based on an example Given in the Mathematica book, page 15, where I
have substituted FileType for FileByteCount.

Anyways, It is not a very critical application, I was just wondering if
anyone else has encountered it, or more importantly why is it doing it?