Re: Mathematica Ouput: subscripts and superscripts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15066] Re: Mathematica Ouput: subscripts and superscripts
  • From: Rolf Mertig <rolf at mertig.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:13:00 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andreas Paul Friedrich Bernhard wrote:

> sub/super/over and underscripts. However, is it possible to define a
> variable (including any sub,super,over,underscripts) that is recognised
> as a single expression.
>
> For example I would like to use a variable defined as an x with two over
> dots (as in "x dot dot"), however Mathematica will not permit this.
>
> Similarly I would like to define a variable defined as x with the
> subscript 0a, however Mathematica will treats the subscript as a
> seperate 0*a subexpression, rather than an intrinsic part of the
> variable definition.
>
> Andy

If you basically care about the output, then one possibility is: xdd/:
MakeBoxes[xdd, _] := OverscriptBox["x", "\[DoubleDot]"]

x0a/: MakeBoxes[x0a, _] :=
   SubscriptBox["x", StyleBox["0a", ZeroWidthTimes -> True]]

or, more general:

x/: MakeBoxes[x[i_Integer,a_Symbol], _]:=
   SubscriptBox["x", StyleBox[RowBox[{i,a}], ZeroWidthTimes -> True]]

Now evaluate:

{xdd, x0a, x[1,s]}

and it looks nice.

Rolf
------

Rolf Mertig
Mertig Research & Consulting
Mathematica training and programming Development and distribution of
FeynCalc  Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.mertig.com