Re: Global max for a nonlinear function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg15125] Re: Global max for a nonlinear function
  • From: "Nicolas B.E. Sawyer" <nbes at>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:11:06 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

mukul chawla wrote:
> I am trying to compute the global maxima for a nonlinear function
> subject to a set of constraints, is there a way to do that using
> mathematica ?? If so, how ??
> Thanks,
> Mukul

I've written some code for finding the maxima and minima of a function
by looking for zeros in the first differential. It extracts candidate
points (using FullGraphics[]) from the data generated by Plot[] and
returns a list of the maxima or minima found within a plotted range

findMaxima[Sin[x], {x, 0, 4 Pi}]

{{1.5708, 1.}, {7.85398, 1.}}

I'd like to submit the code to MathSource but think it needs testing and
possibly tidying up first. I don't consider myself to be an expert in
Mathematica programming, so would like a hand with this. If you would
like to help, please get in touch.

Nicolas B.E. Sawyer

Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of
University Park,
NG7 2RD.

Tel: +44 115 9515151 ext 12028
Fax: +44 115 9515616