Re: specifying the output filename as a parameter to a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15195] Re: specifying the output filename as a parameter to a function
  • From: Wagner Truppel <wtruppel at uci.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:01:29 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Don,

I had the same problem recently and managed to solve it using Put[]  and
PutAppend[] explicitly, in place of >> and >>>, as in

Put[ yatta, outfile ] or  PutAppend[ yatta, outfile ].

Wagner

At 11:20 PM -0500 on 12/18/98, Don Keefer wrote:

>Good Morning,
>
>I'll make this as short as possible - I have written a function that
>reads in a list of data, modifies it, and writes it out to an external
>file.  I would like to be able to specify the output filename as a
>parameter to the function.  In other words:
>f[x_,y_,outfile_]:=
>(yatta;
>yatta;
>yatta;
>yatta>>outfile)
>When I try this is doesnt work - it just names the outfile "outfile".
>How can this be done?
>Thanks,
>J.Russell
>Keefer				dkeefer at isgs.uiuc.edu
>Groundwater Geology Section		217-244-2786

   WAGNER LUIZ TRUPPEL           ***   ARMS ARE FOR HUGGING   ***

 Dept. of Information and Computer Science   (949)  856 2192 (home)
 University of California, Irvine
 Irvine,  CA   92697    USA                   WTRUPPEL at ics.uci.edu

                http://www.physics.uci.edu/~wtruppel

Automobile - A mechanical device that runs up hills and down people.
      Quoting one is plagiarism.  Quoting many is research.