RE: Backups in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg10730] RE: [mg10690] Backups in Mathematica
  • From: Jean-Marie THOMAS <jmthomas@cybercable.tm.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 00:44:24 -0500
  • Return-Receipt-To: Jean-Marie THOMAS <jmthomas@cybercable.tm.fr>

.ma and .mb are version 2 extensions for Mathematica files. As far as I
remember, the .mb file was a graphic file. With version three, all
notebooks are self contained in a .nb extension file.

If you are using a version 2.x and do not wish to upgrade to version 3,
you  have to keep your .ma and .mb files together. In no case these can
be  considered as backup files. Even with version three, you have to
make these  backups by yourself (save as:  myFile_old), or have an
automatic backup  system (on a daily base for instance).

Hope this helps,

Jean-Marie THOMAS
Conseil et Audit en Ingenierie de Calcul jmthomas@cybercable.tm.fr
+33 (0)3 88 32 93 64