Re: ColorFunction and/or ColorOutput - mkdk

It might help to use the full parameter list of Hue, as in Plot3D[x^2 +5
y^2,{x,-2,2},{y,-3,3},
  ColorFunction->(Hue[#,If[#<=.2,0,1],If[#>=.8,0,1]]&)]

Note the use of parenthesis.  I have found that ColorFunction likes
them.  Anyway, Hue[color,saturation, brightness] might give you a close
enough approximation to black or white.  The saturation when set to
zero, gives a pretty good white.  The brightness, when set to zero
gives a pretty good black.