Re: question

  • To:
  • Subject: [mg10315] Re: question
  • From: (Daniel Lichtblau)
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:24:32 -0500

In article <687po8$> "=?big5?B?p0WuYbvK?="
<> writes:
> I found that Mathematica may deal poorly with the orthogonal matrix
> problem. Just as below shows, I can not solve my problem using
> Mathematica. Maybe you have right way to finish it, I think and hope
> so. If it is true, excuse me, I would thank you to let me know the
> answer.
> Following is my input and output in Mathematica: a={{1,2},{3,4}}
> {{1, 2}, {3, 4}}
> p={{a11,a12},{a21,a22}}
> {{a11, a12}, {a21, a22}}
> ans=Solve[Transpose[p].a.p==IdentityMatrix[2]] {}
> Thank you !
> Happy New Year !
> Char-Ming Yu,
> Department of Economics,
> National Chung Hsing Univerisy,
> Taipei, Taiwan

It is correct that the solution set is empty.

Note that the right-hand-side of the matrix equation is symmetric while
the left-hand-side is not (which is a good indication that the
equations   are inconsistent, because now the system is

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research