Re: Slow graphics

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg10314] Re: Slow graphics
  • From: Peter Gordon <pgordon@levtech.com>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:24:31 -0500

Al Hibbard wrote:

> In article <67t7pr$f08@smc.vnet.net>, Riccardo Rigon
> <riccardo@itnca1.ing.unitn.it> writes:
> >I was used to draw river networks with Mathematica 2.2. This
> essentially
> >was performed by:
> >
> >Show[Graphics[{ Line[{a,b},{c,d}] ...}  ] where the Line[] were
> around
> >2^14. The amount of time required was reasonable.
> >
> >Now  Mathematica 3.01 takes much longer time
> >
> >Does anybody knows why ?
> >

> >Riccardo Rigon
> >Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ambientale I-38050 Mesiano di
> Povo
> >TRento
> >ITALY
> >

> Before calling these graphics, evaluate $FormatType = InputForm
> (default
> is StandardForm, which takes longer - I presume that you have text in
> your graphics?).
>
> Al Hibbard

   I tried this and *wow* what a difference!  I was working with a graph
with text labelled nodes.  Previously the text was drawn so slowly that
you could actually see it being added.  Now it is virtually
instantaneous.  Thank you for this post.  What is happening here, and
is this trick applicable to speeding up other Mathematica outputs or
processes?

~Peter