Re: Easy question: Infinite Series, Infinite Sequences

  • To:
  • Subject: [mg10356] Re: Easy question: Infinite Series, Infinite Sequences
  • From: "Brandon Burt" <>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:09:54 -0500

Brandon Burt wrote in message <694asb$>...
> For instance, I am looking for something like:
>(input)    ListSequence[1/2^k, {k, 0, 5}]
>(output)    {1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16}

I have just discovered that (duh!) "Table" was the function I was
looking for, so maybe I ought to broaden my request and ask for general
advice on learning how to use Mathematica.

Also, I have searched on the web and looked at comp.answers as well as
elsewhere in this newsgroup, and I'm afraid I haven't been able to
locate the comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica FAQ. Does such a document
exist seperate from the general Mathematica FAQ located on Wolfram's
website? I do tend to plunge right into things first and tidy up
details later, so I hope I haven't bored anybody to absolute tears yet!
I'm willing to make amends.

Since I have taken up so much bandwidth already, I may as well go ahead
and introduce myself to the newsgroup: I'm a third-year undergrad at
the University of Utah, pursuing an engineering degree. Due to idealism
or foolishness, I spent two of those years enriching myself in a
fine-arts program before perceiving the illuminating light of science,
with the end result that I am currently enrolled in only third-quarter
freshman calculus and first-quarter sophomore physics. However, I will
gladly answer any and all questions regarding music theory or music
history, should such issues ever arise <g>, and I promise the day will
come that I will even be able to answer a real technical/mathematical
question relevant to this newsgroup.

Again, thank you all for your patience and helpfulness,

Brandon Burt