Re: Easy question: Infinite Series, Infinite Sequences

Brandon Burt wrote:

> Hello, Mathematica users. I purchased my first version of Mathematica
> (3.0.1) today and I am so impressed with it! Calculates pi to 1,000
> decimal places instantly, does symbolic manipulations automatically ...
> how have I ever lived without it?
>
> Now I've got to learn to use the durned thing. The online system is
> great and I'm learning how to use the front-end interface. I am
> studying infinite series/sequences and I quickly learned how to find
> the limit of a converging infinite sequence, as well as the sum of a
> converging infinite series. I haven't been able to find a command which
> outputs a list of the first n terms of some arbitrary sequence,
> however. For instance, I am looking for something like:
>
> (input)    ListSequence[1/2^k, {k, 0, 5}] (output)    {1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,
> 1/16}
>
> Is this a function I will have to create myself, or have I just not
> looked hard enough? Also, what advice do you salty oldtimers have for a
> pink-cheeked newbie?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brandon Burt

You want the Series command.  You might also check out section 3.6 in
the mathematica book.
Mathematica is a huge language.  It will take some time before you are
familiar with most of what it contains.  The only advice I could offer
is to purchase a hard copy of the mathematica book and Guide to
Standard Add-On Packages and put them on your bed stand and use them to
fall asleep at night while you browse the pages.  This is hard to do
with the on-line version.
--
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.