I have a list of pairs of the form:

The empty lists inside pairs are being used as placeholders. I want to
replace these with the elements of b: b={a1,a2,a3,a4,a5,a6};
hopefully resulting in the list

I had thought that ReplacePart could do this, as it says:
"ReplacePart[expr, new, pos, npos] replaces parts at positions pos in
expr by
  parts at positions npos in new."

I can't get this to work at all. If someone could explain how to do this
sort of thing, using ReplacePart or otherwise, I would be most

Scott Morrison