Re: D[Xc, X] = Nonsense ?

  • To:
  • Subject: [mg10568] Re: D[Xc, X] = Nonsense ?
  • From: Paul Abbott <>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:54:10 -0500

Kowald wrote:

> I'm using Mathematica 3 on a NT4 machine and I tried to use the new nice
> subscripts for naming my variables.
> I have a variable Xc (that's X subscript c) and a variable X which are
> non-identical. If I now try
> D[Xc ,X]     I get  Subscript(1,0) [X,c]  instead of zero.  If I type
> D[Xc ,Y]  everything is okay.
> So somehow Mathematica gets confused about the subscript. Does this mean
> I cannot have variables whose only difference is a subscript ?

It is possible: you need Symbolize in which is in <<Utilities`Notation`

The following button (paste the Cell[...] into a Mathematica Notebook)
hyperlinks to the on-line documentation for the Notation pacakge:

  "See the ",
  ButtonBox["Notation Maker",
  " included with the Notebook Demos in the Help Browser." }], "Text"]

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907  AUSTRALIA

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player