Re: Flattening systems of eqns: And the winner is...

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg10646] Re: Flattening systems of eqns: And the winner is...
  • From: "Xah" <xah@best.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 03:10:10 -0500

(original message attached at the end)

I just want to point out that there are reasons where
SetAttributes[Equal,Listable] may not be a preferred solution than
using Flatten and Thread.

* Some people prefer not to touch build-in functions. * Some people
prefer not to use Attribute system in Mathematica. (me. Because it's
"too" idiomatic programing)

 Xah, xah@best.com
 http://www.best.com/~xah/Wallpaper_dir/c0_WallPaper.html
 New Programing Paradigm: Parallel execution of bugs and C/C++
programers.

----------
In article <6a1pj2$q34@smc.vnet.net>, Selwyn Hollis
<shollis@peachnet.campus.mci.net> wrote: Recently I posted the
following question:

>What is the  simplest way to convert a system of equations like this:
>into this:

I've received several responses, most of which suggest some variation of
Thread and Flatten. However the _best_ response was from Jens,  who
pointed out that one can

SetAttributes[Equal,Listable]