Corrupt Mathematica Notebooks

Every three months or so, one of my Mathematica notebooks gets
corrupted. Since I only use Mathematica to edit these notebooks, the
corruption is coming from within Mathematica itself.  I use the Windows
version of Mathematica 3.0.1.  Can anyone tell me why this occurs?  Is
there any utility to help me rebuild a corrupt notebook?  Are there any
preventive measures?