Re: Corrupt Mathematica Notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg13160] Re: [mg13074] Corrupt Mathematica Notebooks
  • From: Sean Ross <seanross at>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 07:42:10 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

bobmccrory at wrote:
> Every three months or so, one of my Mathematica notebooks gets
> corrupted. Since I only use Mathematica to edit these notebooks, the
> corruption is coming from within Mathematica itself.  I use the Windows
> version of Mathematica 3.0.1.  Can anyone tell me why this occurs?  Is
> there any utility to help me rebuild a corrupt notebook?  Are there any
> preventive measures?
>   Create Your Own Free Member Forum

Could you be more specific about "corrupt".  Do you mean a notebook that
the front end won't open, or that the code no longer executes as
expected, or that the formatting no longer produces consistent

Do your notebooks make use of 2-D equation typsetting?  Are those 2-D
equations in executable code or just in text and headers?

I personally have found some instability in the 2-D executable
equations.  Given sufficient editing, the code may become unexecutable
and produce error messages that identical appearing freshly typed in
code does not produce.  The only "solution" I have come up with is to
use 2-D equation typesetting very sparingly in executable code and then
to avoid editing it.  Not very satisfactory.

As far as rebuilding a "corrupted" notebook, my particular version of
"corruption" can sometimes be recovered by copying and pasting the
code, not the cell into a fresh notebook.